Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Reasoning behind

Here I am, sitting at work. I've spend my past 47 minutes reading wikipedia. I found an informative page on Andreas Vesalius, a 16th century physician, who made countless discoveries of the human body through cadaver dissection. During this time period, it was highly illegal to dissect human cadavers. Previous anatomists, such as Galen, used various animals to perform his research. He even performed live human dissections- vivisection, which I am somewhat disgusted by. Vesalius moved a step further from Galen to put right his mistakes. Since Galen used animals for research, such as monkeys, much of his findings were not fully correct. Some blood vessels present in animals were not, in fact, present in humans. Again, human cadaver dissection was illegal, so Vesalius was often rebuked by the government to continue his research. Though persecuted, he continued his work and laid down the foundations of anatomical research and knowledge. He is known as the founder of modern human anatomy.

I learned a lot about Vesalius via anatomy classes a few semesters ago. I have been fascinated by his research and discoveries and have managed to find much of his work through an online version of his Corporis de humani fabrica literature: all of his work put down to paper with anatomical drawings and informative explanations.

So that is the man behind my photo.

Anyway, that is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment