Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Movies I have recently seen

I have managed to be completely unproductive this whole winter break. Before the break started, I set up a list of a bunch of things I wished to accomplish. It wasn't too big. Nothing special. Somehow I only completed one: watch as many movies as I possibly could before the break was over. I knew once the semester started back up, I would never see the light of day- or just the light of the TV- until spring was over. I cannot count how many movies I have seen, but I will list a few. Here are a couple of them, with my own commentary aside:

I'm not there: I was very excited to see this movie. After about 30 minutes, though, I could not keep track of what was going on. 6 different characters were playing Bob Dylan. Each one representing a different aspect of his life. I wish I watched the whole thing. Maybe next time when I'm not taking sudafed.

The Killing of John Lennon: Very good. Very enjoyable; Psychoanalysis of Mark Chapman's obsession with John Lennon and eventual homicide committed. Based on Chapman's own account of his thought processes. The entire film, he is battling with himself on whether or not to kill John.

Eagle Eye: I really did not want to watch this movie. It seemed like the plot was just like every other movie plot out there. I gave it a try, and it was pretty good. It was entertaining, and Shia LaBouff's acting surprised me; he was better than I thought.

Valkyrie: I enjoyed this movie. An account of one of the many failed attempts to assassinate Hitler. Tom Cruise's performance as Stauffenberg was okay I didn't quite understand why Cruise could not pull off a German accent. I think it could have been better if he actually had an accent. I also think that the story could have included a little bit more about the emotions and personal life of Stauffenberg as a person. The movie seemed to be totally directed at just to kill Hitler. I would have enjoyed a more prominent attachment to the characters, by seeing some depth in their emotions and personal lives a bit.

I watched a lot more than that, but those are a few.

I am at work now. It has been one and a half hours. Many many many more to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment