Friday, January 9, 2009

Gobbledigook

New Sigur Ros album is very good.

Lately I've been obsessed with acoustic guitar. I cannot get enough of the blues-folk genre. I have been listening to Rod Stewart and Bob Dylan like crazy lately. Rod Stewart's old albums, I mean. His new stuff (mid 80's and on) were terrible. His music went from beautiful blue's-folk driven mandolins and resonance guitars to synth pop crap. Luckily I got into Rod Stewart's old stuff before finding the albums that ruined his career- in my eyes, at least. If I had listened to "Do ya think i'm sexy" first, Rod never would have been given a chance. Anyway, back to the guitars. I went to guitar center the other day and was just awe-struck when hearing this resonance guitar played by this strange young man in the acoustic room. It was beautiful! Rod Stewart used it in his early albums, which I love. I love the sound- it is so wonderful. I found a twelve string Taylor acoustic that I played for about an hour. Now, that isn't that long of a time usually- but, I know only four songs. I am pretty new; I am a bass player..recently converted to the lovely world of acoustic guitar. But, I tell you, I played those four songs for an hour, loud and proud. Well...not too loud. So this twelve string guitar just brought a whole new level of acoustic guitar to my plate. It was as if I were playing with another person on another guitar. Or two of me playing the same song at the same time. It was beautiful. I want that guitar.

I am a very big dreamer. I get caught up on some idea every once in a while (more like every 2 weeks) and become obsessed with it, making plans, doing research. But, guitar has been more than a two week ordeal. I'm still on it, and it has been 2 months.

I have always bounced around on instruments. I play one, slightly "master" the concept and playing, and then move on to bigger and better things. I did that with my first keyboard, piano, tuba, clarinet, bass clarinet, acoustic guitar (for a week), bass guitar and now the mandolin and resonance guitar. But, I will learn both. Otherwise the obsession won't end.

No comments:

Post a Comment